MSO7925 - Prehistoric stone setting on Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Four stones were noted in a setting, located to the south of the stone circle (MSO7898).  The setting was found and surveyed in April 1973. The report contains a plan and three photographs, one of which shows an antiquity star which disappeared in the 1980s. McDonnell suggests that stones SA and SB are aligned to one of the stones of the stone circle (MSO7898).  The site could not be located during field investigation in 1985.  SS 8458 4448: In 1989 there was no evidence of a stone setting in the area of the listed national grid reference, which lies on a slight west facing heather covered slope. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO1375 Unassigned: McDonnell, R.. 1976. Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 8 December 1976. [Mapped feature: #47311 ]
- <2> SEM7180 Report: McDonnell, R.. Colley Water Stone Circle.
- <3> SSO1175 Article in serial: Fowler, MJ. 1988. The Standing Stones of Exmoor. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Porlock 9).
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. S Probert, 3 January 1989.
- <5> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. SS 84 SW 83, 61.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 859289, Extant 19 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8458 4448 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859289 (Original Monarch entry: 859289)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11543
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW83
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 859289
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33938
Record last edited
Jun 19 2021 10:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.