MSO7918 - Bronze Age burial cairn at Culbone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8336 4731 Cairn. A cairn situated in dense coniferous woodland just below the summit of the saddle at the east end of Culbone Hill near the head of Smalla Combe. The remains of this cairn found by NV Quinnell in 1975  consists of a near circular mound of small to medium size some 11.8 metres in diameter and averaging 0.4 metres in height. Built on a slight north facing slope it is a maximum 0.6 metres high on the southern side and 0.3 metres high on the north side. No kerb is evident. The centre is slightly hollowed suggesting that it has been robbed, the debris probably having been dumped on the southsoutheast side where the rim is disturbed and spread. The site is overgrown with trees but appears to be little disturbed by them. (Note this cairn is depicted on the 1:1000 plan of Culbone Stone Row, MSO7893 ).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. NV Quinnell, 1 February 1990.
- <2> SMO5504 Technical drawing: Sainsbury, I.. 1990. Culbone Stone Row/ink survey. 1:100. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 January 1990. [Mapped feature: #44560 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 859208, Extant 22 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8336 4732 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859208 (Original Monarch entry: 859208)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12726
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW44
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 859208
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57151
Record last edited
Feb 22 2022 3:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.