MSO7909 - Hut Circles, Porlock Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
There is a large platform cut into hillslope with substantial ledge on the down slope side. The bank at rear circa 2 metres high . A slight irregularity in the south-west corner suggests a possible entrance. The platform is 17 paces diameter. There is a second smaller and less substantial feature slightly upslope to the south-east. There is a possible entrance on south side. The bank at the rear is 0.75 metres high and the feature is 13 paces in diameter. (1) Two well defined hut circles on steep, west facing slopes in a sheltered combe at the head of Weir Water. SS 8433 4358. The largest of the two, a massively terraced, sub circular platform, cut into the hillside by 1.4 metres. It has an overall diameter of 16.5 metres, with the platform measuring 12 metres in diameter. An easing of the natural slope on its southern side marks the original entrance. This feature is an exceptionally well defined example of prehistoric settlement on Exmoor. SS 8435 4356. A second smaller platform, defined by stony scarps 0.4 metres high. It is 9.7 metres in diameter and is crossed by modern paths which are causing some erosion, and have exposed the stony core of the encircling scarps. Surveyed with GPS at 1:1000 scale (2) SS 84354355. A substantial circular platform approximately 16 metres in diameter levelled into a fairly steep hillside, was located in fieldwork on Porlock Allotment. A second smaller platform was recorded slightly above and to the south-east. (Listed under Prehistoric). (3) This monument was surveyed as part of the Dig Porlock project in 2013, using earth resistance and gradiometer survey equipment. Following assessment of the results of the surveys, it was recommended by Carey Consulting that further work to compare the geophysical results to the earthworks would be of value. 
- <1> SSO1350 Unassigned: McDonnell, R. 21/3/1980.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. & Riley, H. 19/08/1996.
- <3> SSO858 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. + Murless, B.. 1980. Somerset Archaeology 1979. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 124. P. 116.
- <4> SMO5771 Survey: Riley, H. & Wilson-North, R.. 1996. SS 84 SW 29, 57/ink survey . 1:1000. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SEM7998 Report: Carey, C.. 2013. Luccott Gate, Exmoor: Geophysical survey.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8433 4356 (37m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36316 (Pastscape entry: 36316)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11564
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW57
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36316
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33961
Record last edited
Sep 4 2017 8:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.