MSO7875 - Medieval churchyard cross, Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 88644668] Cross (NR)  There are the remains of an early 15th century cross to the NE of the NE porch of Porlock church. It comprises part of a shaft set in a large, plain octagonal socket mounted on two steps. In 1830 there were three steps. [2, 9] The original socket stone and lower part of the shaft stand on two restored steps and are surmounted by a modern head and upper portion of shaft. See GP AO/65/176/1. [3, 10] SS 8846 PORLOCK CP High Street (South Side) 24/56 Churchyard cross, about 10 metres north east of porch, Church of St Dubricius. GV Grade II Churchyard cross. Early 15 century, restored circa 1890. Sandstone.Two stage calvary, octagonal steps with nosing to lower stage, upper renewed; octagonal socket with chamfered cornice and moulded plinth; octagonal shaft renewed in upper portion and surmounted by late 19th century cross. [4, 6] English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265470. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  Stone, Ashlar walls.  Within the churchyard, is a 15th century Cross of which the original octagonal steps and shaft remain, but the upper portion was restored and surmounted by a cross around 1890. [11, 13] The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 25".
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Old Crosses of Somerset 1877 81-2 fig (C Pooley).
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 09-JUL-65.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somer 02.01.86 31.
- <5> SMO1480 Photograph: 15TH CENTURY CHURCHYARD CROSS AT PORLOCK FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F176/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <6> SMO672 Photograph: LONG HALL,W. P39514. B/W.
- <7> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <8> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <9> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C. 1877. Old Stone Crosses of Somerset. p81-2.
- <10> SSO1704 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84NE. p4.
- <11> SEM6959 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Porlock: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p5, 18.
- <12> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <13> SEM8052 Report: Pratt, N.. 2013. Porlock Conservation Area: Appraisal Document. 57.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8864 4668 (3m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35840 (Original Monarch entry: 35840)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/24/56
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10689
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12034
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE4
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35840
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31183
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34858
Record last edited
Jul 1 2014 4:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.