MSO7789 - Possible post-medieval charcoal burners' shelters in Embelle Wood (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two ruined buildings lie in Embelle Wood, close to the beach and a ruined boathouse and lime kiln. The better preserved of the pair lies at SS 8152 4928. It is a rectangular building 4.9 by 3.6 metres. The walls are of unmortared local stone, they are 0.7 metres thick and stand up to 1.5 metres high. An entrance gap 1.1 metres wide lies in the northwest corner. The eastern half of the building is filled with stone tumble. There is no roof. The second building lies at SS 8151 4928. It is sub rectangular and measures 6.2 by 3.8 metres. The remains of a fireplace lie in the northeast corner, the entrance was probably in the southwest corner. The walls are of unmortared local stone, 0.8 metres wide with a maximum height of 1.3 metres. The interior is covered with stone tumble. There is no roof. The buildings are most likely to be charcoal burners' shelters. There are several well preserved charcoal burning platforms nearby.  The best preserved building is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  The western structure is in poor condition and trees have fallen onto the southern half of the ruin. A large oak coppice stool sits on the southwestern corner of the eastern structure. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. Somerset 22(15).
- <3> SEM7026 Report: McDonnell, R. + Faxon, K.. 2002. Culbone Woodlands: A Preliminary Archaeological Survey for Management Purposes. P.78-79.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8151 4928 (13m by 10m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: 2014: DBA - Exmoor Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey (EEM14294)
- Event - Survey: Culbone Woods; a Preliminary Archaeological Survey for Management Purposes (EEM13974)
- Event - Survey: Horner Wood; Preliminary Archaeological Field Assessment of Two Areas (Ref: HW94) (EEM13975)
- Event - Survey: RCHME: East Exmoor Project (EMO6759)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1159264 (Pastscape entry: 1159264)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW57
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1159264
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57159
- Somerset SMR PRN: 57160
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 5:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.