MSO7788 - Post-medieval enclosure and ruined building in Embelle Wood (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
A ruined building lies in Embelle Wood, close to the beach, at SS 8149 4931. It measures 13 by 6.1 metres overall. Both long sides are pierced by 2 large openings, all 2.5 metres wide, the short sides are both pierced by similar openings, 2.8 metres wide. The walls are of mortared local stone with brick details, 0.4 metres thick and a maximum of 2.5 metres high. There is no roof or floor. The northern end has been made into a hut. A walled enclosure lies to the east of the building. The building was probably a boat house. It may have been associated with lime burning, fishing or charcoal burning.  The building is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of the area.  The gaps in the structure walls may have held the louvres of a tan bark drying house. The function of the walled enclosure to the east side of the structure, and the significance of its pentagonal shape are unclear. It measures approximately 20 metres in diameter. On the north the enclosure is defined by dry stone walling 0.7 metres wide and up to 1.3 metres high. On the east it is defined by a low, 0.3 metre high stony strip. The southern side is defined by a 0.5 metre high bank. Where not formed by the structure the western side of the enclosure could not be located in the field.  It is possible these features are associated with the lime kiln circa 140 metres to the southeast.  The building is also depicted on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, which also depicts the pentagonal structure attached on its eastern side.  The building is not depicted on the Culbone Tithe Map, which labels the area in which it is situated as "The Layground". This area was not surveyed in detail, however, and the building may have been extant at this point.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 22(15).
- <3> SEM7026 Report: McDonnell, R. + Faxon, K.. 2002. Culbone Woodlands: A Preliminary Archaeological Survey for Management Purposes. P.55-56, Plan and photograph.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Hegarty, 17 December 2009.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8065 Map: 1838. Culbone Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1159256, Extant 23 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8150 4931 (29m by 21m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1159256 (Pastscape entry: 1159256)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW56
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1159256
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 57147
Record last edited
Feb 23 2022 11:55AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.