MSO7780 - Prehistoric stone setting on South Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 8018 4369, on the southwest facing slopes of Manor Allotment, is an alignment of three stones. It lies in a patch of bracken on a heather covered hillside, adjacent to a modern path.The stones are aligned north to south and consist of (from north to south): 1. Edge set slab (0.35 metres long, 0.1 metres high and 0.05 metres wide); 2 . Stub; 3. Edge set slab (0.4 metres long, 0.1 metres high and 0.03 metres wide). The shortness of this alignment suggests that it is a stone setting rather than a stone row. The adjacent path poses a direct threat to this vulnerable moument. Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:100 scale. [1-2] Survey work in 2003 noted that the three stones are stable and their close proximity to the footpath causes no threat at present.  The site was subject to further survey in 2012. All three stones were again seen and noted to be in stable condition, though stones B and C appeared to have been chipped by passing animals.  A stone row situated in a clearing of bracken 1m away from the path. It consists of 3 stones, on the south-west facing slope of Manor Allotment. The stones are relatively close to one another, no more than 4m between A and B, and 2m between B and C, running north-south. None of the stones stand above the ground by more than 0.1m and they are within an area of natural surface stone. This makes identification difficult and questions the authenticity of this setting. There is no recent damage to these stones, despite being at a significant risk from vehicles using the nearby track. Bracken is also present on site, and may conceal the stones to vehicles and damage sub-surface archaeology. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1995.
- <2> SMO5704 Survey: Manor Allotment/ink survey . 1:100. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SEM6936 Report: Dray, K.. 2003. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Badgworthy Land Company Owned Land, Exmoor.
- <4> SEM7915 Report: Slater, E.. 2012. A condition survey of standing stones on Badgworthy Land Company owned land, Exmoor National Park. p66-67.
- <5>XY SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO7780. [Mapped features: #45676 Stone A., MSO7780; #45677 Stone B., MSO7780; #45678 Stone C., MSO7780]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8019 4370 (3m by 5m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1066024 (Original Monarch entry: 1066024)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10193
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW135
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1066024
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15641
Record last edited
Jul 6 2020 8:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.