MSO7774 - Possible prehistoric standing stone on Stowey Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8116 4446 Stone. A possible monument, annotated `stone' on the 2nd Edition 6 inch map of 1905.  It is uncertain if this was an antiquity and it has been destroyed. It lay within Stowey Allotment which is now cultivated land. `Stone' published at SS 8116 4446 but cancelled by reviser (not by Ordnance Survey archaeological staff). May still be extant. Two other stones 250 metres to the northwest are published on the 1:10,000 1978 map. [2-3] No extent stones were visible in this area of heavily grazed pasture. The site was also likely a boundary stone related to the nearby stones (MSO7772), and not a prehistoric Standing Stone.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000.
- <3> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 January 1989.
- <4> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 859348, Extant 21 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8116 4445 (point) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859348 (Original Monarch entry: 859348)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW126
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 859348
Record last edited
Jun 22 2021 4:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.