MSO7772 - Possible 19th Century boundary stones on Stowey Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Stones" printed on 1978 Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map. Three shown at SS 8075 4495.  The stones are not shown on the 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  Probable stone setting.  Area is now improved and stones do not exist.  No stones remain the area. The larger part of Stowey Allotment has been improved and is now under cultivated grassland. All stones in the area have been removed. It is notable that the three stones are depicted on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1905. [5,6] The stones are shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps. [7,8] The group of standing stones mentioned above may be associated with other stones marked on the late 19th Century 6 inch maps, probably marking out allottment holdings. There is a further stone to the north on the other side of the spring head which appears to be on the same alignment as MSO12179 and MSO12180. A further run of Individual stones are indicated to the east then south for about 500 metres from the group of stones. All stones in the area are said to have been removed for agricultural improvement.  No extent stones were visible in this area of heavily grazed pasture. The site also likely represented an area of boundary stones, and not a prehistoric Standing Stone or Stone Setting. A smoothed stone, which may have once represented an upright stone, was visible in a modern clearance cairn in the centre of the allotment. 
- <1> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 1 July 1985.
- <4> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. 57.
- <5> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 January 1989.
- <6> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <10> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8085 4481 (214m by 475m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859293 (Original Monarch entry: 859293)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11974
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW88
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 859293
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34588
Record last edited
Dec 7 2018 3:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.