MSO7769 - Barrow Near the Top of Twitchen Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 820 477 On a false crest a disturbed round barrow (a).The reference falls near the top of Twitchen Combe at above 395m above OD on gently sloping ground at the western end of Twitchen Plain Hill (b). The area is shown as open moorland on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map (b) but has been ploughed and is now pasture. No trace of this alleged round barrow was seen.
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury I 08-NOV-95 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 Somerset 33.3 1889.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Eardley-wilmot H 20-NOV-80 Somerset CC.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8199 4769 (41m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1106974 (Pastscape entry: 1106974)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW25
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1106974
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33877
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.