MSO7768 - Bronze age barrow or burial cairn on Stowey Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 8090 4508 A sub-circular stony mound 0.2 metres high and 6 paces in diameter, slightly damaged by N-S ploughing in 1977, set on gentle N-facing slope. Barrow excluded from ploughing in 1983.  Barrow extensively damaged by stock and when visited was heavily poached. Seems as though a feeding point was put on the top out of the waterlogged ground surrounding it. Suggested that the farmer pegs an area 12m diameter total around the barrow to allow regrowth of grass.  SS 8090 4508 - The ploughed down remains of a cairn visible as a sub-circular turf-covered stony rise about 7.5 metres north-south by 6 metres and 0.4 metres maximum height. Its content of small consoilidated stones extrude around the west side. It is situated on a slight east-facing slope in a turnip field, some 385 metres above OD on Stowey Ridge. It is not shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  when the area was open moorland but is almost certainly a prehistoric burial cairn.  The barrow survives as a very low stoney mound within improved pasture. Locate to SS 80908 45124 by hand-held GPS. 
- <1> SSO836 Verbal communication: Burrow, I. 10/06/1983. Staff Comments: Somerset County Council.
- <2> SSO993 Verbal communication: Dennison, E.. 18/04/1986. Staff Comments: Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 33(6).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 November 1995.
- <5> SSO2048 Verbal communication: Webster, Chris. 19/04/2006. Staff Comments: Somerset Historic Environment Record.
|Grid reference||SS 8090 4512 (point)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1106932 (Original Monarch entry: 1106932)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11495
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW24
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1106932
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33872
Record last edited
Jul 26 2013 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.