MSO7744 - Two modern spoil heaps south and southeast of Twitchin Plain (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 829 473. A bowl barrow on the side of the road (Oare No 2a). Grinsell further describes this as "west of Oare 3 [MSO7740], but east of Oare 2 [MSO7739]" . This puts it 400 metres west of his grid reference, and applies to a mound at SS 82554735 which, however, is nothing more than upcast from an adjacent pond.  SS 829473? Oare 2a. Bowl barrow 6 paces diameter and 1 foot high listed as above. Visited by Grinsell 24th May 1961.  Grinsell has misinterpreted two spoil heaps from ponds and associated leats at approximately: SS 8254 4736. (To the north side of the A39 Porlock to Lynton road). SS 8291 4726. (In thick woodland about 60 metres north of this road). 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 36.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 13 July 1965.
- <3>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 November 1995. [Mapped features: #46120 ; #46121 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8272 4731 (370m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35917 (Pastscape entry: 35917)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11471
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW14
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35917
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33848
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.