MSO7741 - Two Bronze Age burial cairns on Stent Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 83794737] Tumuli (NR) [SS 83864738] (1) Oare 8. At SS 83804738 is a bowl barrow 8 paces across by 2 feet high. Oare 9. At SS 83804737 is a bowl barrow 10 paces across by 2 1/2 feet high. The N.E. part has been worn down by a track. (2) These are both small barrows 0.7 m high. 9 is at SS 83834737. See TP's AO/65/137/3 & 4 (8) AO/65/137/5 & 6 (9) Surveyed at 1/2500. (3) SS 83804738. Oare 8. SS 83854737. Oare 9. Two bowl barrows listed as Authy 2. (4) SS 8380 4739 - Two round cairns situated at about 370m above OD, in heather moorland between two coniferous plantations on a gentle north-east facing slope on Stent Hill. SS 83780 47386 A well prserved cairn visible as a heather covered stony mound about 7.2m in diameter and 0.8m maximum height. Probing revealed a content of consoildated small stones and a small erosion in the north east also exposes the stone content. A large earthfast stone, about 0.5m by 0.4mand 0.1m thick laid some 2m outside the SW perimeter may have come from the cairn. It may be a displaced kerb stone thought no others are evident. SS 83826 47394 Down the slope some 45m due east of A is the SW half of a heather covered stony mound about 7.5m NW-SE by 3.5m and of 0.7m maximum height. There are the remains of a tree stump in the centre. A track cutting through the east side has destroyed any trace of this eastern half. In its present state it is impossible to confirm that this mound is a cairn but based on its situation, its similarity and its proximity to A it is most probably the mutilated remains of a cairn.
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. West Somerset Barrows Mss (LV Grinsell).
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 13-JUL-65.
- <4> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <6> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury IS 22-NOV-95 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 SS 8347 1972.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8380 4739 (61m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35902 (Pastscape entry: 35902)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW9
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35902
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33854
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33855
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.