MSO7739 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Twitchen Plain Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
[SS 8240 4760] Tumulus (NR)  SS 824 476 Round barrow, rather uneven. C.8m diameter and c.0.6m high. No apparent disturbance. Scheduled as AM 158a.  Oare 2. A bowl barrow 15 paces across by 2 1/2 ft. high; it has a trig point on the top.  This is a bowl barrow 0.6 m high and is now railed off. See GP AO/65/137/8 Surveyed at 1/2500.  SS 8240 4760. A cairn prominetly situated at about 412m above OD, in pasture at the western end of the summit of Twitchen Plain Hill. It is shown, with a Triangulation Station and annotated Tumulus in thick coniferous woodland on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map but has been ploughed and is now pasture. It is visible as a turf-covered stony mound, 10.8m in diameter and 0.8m maximum height. Two stones, possibly the remains of a kerb, protrude from the northwest perimeter. The cairn is partly mutilated by robbing and several small tree stumps are still in situ. Sheep erosion in the northwest has exposed its content of small stones just below the turf. A concrete tank has been set in the ground level with the surface only 4m from the west side and some of the stony content of the hole encroach on the cairn on this western side. There is now no evidence of the trig point.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO4073 Index: Scheduled Monument Notification . List Ancient Monuments England & Wales 1955.59 (& M.S. Map refs.) (Ministry of Works).
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 36.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. J Palmer, 13 July 1965.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8239 4760 (26m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35896 (Original Monarch entry: 35896)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11472
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW7
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35896
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33849
Record last edited
Oct 27 2015 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.