MSO7734 - Medieval cross in St Beuno's Churchyard (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 84214820) Cross (NR) (Remains of) (NAT)  Remains of a 14th Century cross opposite the south porch of Culbone church. The octagonal steps, formerly four in number, but now reduced to two, support a visibly ornamented socket with deep broaches, and a sunk quatrefoil on each face. It is 14th Century.  The cross is as described. See GP AO/65/137/7  Churchyard Cross. Octagonal socket with sunk quatrefoils on base of 2 octagonal steps. Shaft missing. (Ungraded). (4) SS84NW DARE CP CULBONE 2/29 Churchyard cross about 3 metres south east of porch, Culbone Church GV II* Churchyard cross. C15, restored 1966. Red sandstone and Ham stone. Two stage calvary lower stage with moulded plinth, remains of nosing to upper stage, square socket with moulded plinth broached corners and sunk quatrefoil panels; the octagonal shaft surmounted by cross was added in 1966.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1904.
- <2> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C.. 1877. An historical and descriptive account of the old stone crosses of Somerset. 89.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 12 July 1965.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . Williton RD Devon (March 1962) 52.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . West Somer Dist (Exford et al) (2 January 1986) 16.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||SS 8420 4821 (point) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35878 (Original Monarch entry: 35878)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1076/2/29
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10662
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12032
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW1
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35878
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31153
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34855
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 5:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.