MSO7722 - Farm water wheel at Colton Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Contour leat from stream at ST05093524 descending to pond at ST05643575. Then by short leat to overshot wheel. Only stone arched trough remains with wheel pit and bearings. Wheel was 20ft diameter and 2ft wide.  The leat survives as a prominent contour scarp in the area of MSO7719.  The wheel pit is one of largest in the National Park. In danger of collapse. The wheel was apparently removed to Combe Sydenham. The pond has silted up and will be redug. The whole system of water channels and leats taking water to the wheel from the pond via the farmyard is very complex and involved underground channels and suspended launders. A full survey is required. The owners are very sympathetic. Much of the machinery remains in one of the farm outbuildings.  Financial aid from the National Park for repointing the wheel pit.  The leat can be traced on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- <1> SSO2001 Unassigned: Warren, D. 30.11.77. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <2> SSO843 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 16.10.84. Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO915 Unassigned: Dennison, E. Nov 1986. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1165 Unpublished document: ENP. 10.12.86. ENP to owners.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0534 3553 (627m by 775m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975275 (Original Monarch entry: 975275)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11466
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NE42
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975275
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33840
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.