MSO7714 - Iron mine southwest of Beggearn Huish (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Iron ore deposits were found in the parish at Fair Cross and Beggearn Huish in 1843, and a mine was opened at Beggearn Huish then. It is recorded in the papers of Sir John Trevelyan of Nettlecombe; his main interests were at Colton Pits on the Brendons to the south.  Shown on a map of Nettlecombe.  The main mining activity however was concentrated at Colton (MSO7702).  Exact location uncertain - marginal site. 
- <1> SMO5316 Monograph: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 117.
- <2> SSO295 Map: 1843. Map of Nettlecombe DD.WY.
- <3> SSO965 Unassigned: Dennison, E. 12.02.85. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO959 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 10.10.88.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset County Council SMR 29 Sep 1986.
|Grid reference||ST 03 39 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975209 (Original Monarch entry: 975209)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11954
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW48
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975209
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34560
Record last edited
Feb 22 2013 3:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.