MSO7705 - Bronze Age bowl barrow at Ralegh's Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Nettlecombe No. 1, ST 0415 3457, a bowl barrow 32 paces diameter and 5 feet high. Found by R. R. Clarke in 1937.  This large mound at ST 0414 3454, is 1.3 metres high. It is probably a bowl barrow but it could be a small natural knoll as occurs in this locality. See authority 9. Surveyed at 1/2500.  Very definitely a barrow, which has been ploughed in the past. It is approximately 40 metres in diameter, 1.5 metres high and very spread. There is slight traces of a ditch on the north and west sides.  (ST 0414 3454) Tumulus (NR).  Barrow scheduled on 6 December 2002.  In private ownership. The Bronze Age bowl barrow described by the previous authorities was seen as a slight earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs. [7-8] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 36.
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 4 August 1965.
- <3> SSO846 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 20.05.85. Somerset County Council.
- <4> SSO1456 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1977. 1:10,000 ST03SW.
- <5> SSO1123 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 14/1/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3140-3141 (23 January 1947).
- <8> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <9> SMO1441 Photograph: POSSIBLE BAROW AT NETTLECOMBE FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F182/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <10> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <11> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0414 3454 (48m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188469 (Original Monarch entry: 188469)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO248
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11458
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 188469
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33832
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.