MSO7635 - Hindon Farm, Bratton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 933466. Hindon Farm is one of the oldest farms in the area, dating to at least the early Anglo-Saxon period.  The farmstead is shown on the tithe map for Minehead.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the farmstead includes kennels (at c. SS 9332 4670) and quarries.  The quarries are not mentioned on the 2nd Edition map. The kennels building is drawn but not labelled.  The farmstead was surveyed by the National Trust in 1996. The farmhouse is recorded as having a three cell, cross-passage plan with a rear wing and an extension. It is rendered and limewashed with a black tar band, using slate roofs with collared ridge tiles and asbestos slate on the first floor rear lean to. Most of the chimneys include brick. It contains reed and plaster ceilings and quarry tile floors in several rooms. Several of the fireplaces have ovens, four rooms have 18th Century two panel doors and the larder contains possible slate shelving. The report suggests the original farmhouse dated from the 15th or 16th Century (or possibly earlier), with the rear wing added in the late 16th or early 17th Century and the main house being rebuilt in the early 19th Century, with its original plan and the rear wing retained. The two storey rear extension is presumed to have been added soon after to provide a working back kitchen, with cream and bake ovens. The report also mentions a number of other buildings, including a Dairy / Cider House / Stock Housing building dating from the 17th or 18th Century, a mid 19th Century linhay, a ruined threshing barn and roundhouse dating from the mid 19th Century and a ruined barn, court and cottage dating from the 17th or 18th Century. 
- <1> SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. 23.
- <2> SSO300 Map: 1843. Minehead Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #39910 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7929 Report: Richardson, I & Waterhouse, R.. 1996. Vernacular Building Survey: Hindon Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 932 467 (281m by 355m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867134 (Original Monarch entry: 867134)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW78
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 867134
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.