MSO7606 - World War Two slit trenches at North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Four slit trenches, associated with the WWII activity on North Hill, lie at SS 95295 47801, 95331 47742, 95376 47728 and 95464 47684. They were recorded as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill.There are full details in the survey report. Each, of the twenty one trenches, is a roughly semi circular hole averaging 2.3 metres by 1.6 metres by 1 metre with a mound of spoil on the seaward side. They are spaced 5 metres from centre to centre.  SS 9546 4760 At least twenty one Second World War slit trenches, visible as curvilinear earthworks, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. The 129 metres long alignment of slit trenches (SS 9541 4762 to SS 9552 4757) is located on Minehead's North Hill, in the open land between the military buildings in the western end of Moor Wood and the Coastal Defence Chain Home Low radar station (SS 9540 4769). Each trench is about 2 metres long and 1 metre wide and appears to have the spoil from the slit trench piled to the seaward (north) side. The slit trenches were still visible in 2001. [2-4]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9547/10 (21106/06) (9 Feburary 2001).
- <4> SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 95469 47605 (125m by 58m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102256 (Original Monarch entry: 1102256)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMMO641
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12486
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE65
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102256
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35687
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.