MSO7590 - Medieval and earlier field systems near Greenaleigh Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Field of both UP and Medieval date are recorded to the north and south of Greenaleigh Farm, SS 95 47.  (Greenaleigh Farm is located at SS 955479).  The map shown in  shows three distinct area of farming activity around the farmhouse at Greenaleigh. These are: A) lynchets at c. SS 9547 4817; B) An abandoned field system "older than medieval" at c. SS 9579 4800; C) An abandoned medieval field system, including open fields, at c. SS 9534 4789. N.B. it is worth noting that the map is at a very high scale and so the above grid references are not precise. [1,3]
- <1>XY SSO1777 Article in serial: Osborn, B.. 1983. Parish surveys in Somerset five: Minehead Without. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 5. Map 3. [Mapped features: #45057 Lynchets, Map 3; #45058 Pre-medieval field system, Map 3; #45059 Medieval field system, Map 3]
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. RJ Fitzgerald, 26 January 1993, RCHME Recording.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 20 September 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 955 480 (450m by 280m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867290 (Pastscape entry: 867290)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE30
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 867290
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.