MSO7558 - Undated subcircular enclosure on Knowle Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An enclosure on Knowle Hill was recorded from air photographs at SS 965 439. [1,2] The area in question has since been afforested and is covered with densely planted conifers. There is no field evidence for an enclosure as far as can be ascertained.  A sub circular enclosure on Knowle Hill, Minehead, is defined by a low bank measuring approximately 2 metres wide, and enclosing an area of approximately 0.9 hectares. Two roughly parallel banks run north-south before opening out into a larger circular area. The bank is fragmented in places, particularly at the southern end, where a larger break in the bank may indicate an entranceway. The 20th Century conifer plantation has most likely destroyed all traces of this enclosure. [4,5] Aston depicts a site at this location classed as 'Ringwork possible and probable' on his distribution map of deserted farmsteads in West Somerset. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3022.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9643C.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4192-93 11-APR-1947.
- <5>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #40011 ]
- <6> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 75.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 965 438 (151m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO695
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11414
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7552
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE45
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE46
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099803
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119380
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33787
Record last edited
Jan 15 2020 4:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.