MSO7557 - Post-medieval drinking fountain in Culver Cliff Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A drinking fountain is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping of 1889, as well as a number of paths, seats and areas of ornamental planting.  The drinking fountain is centred at SS 9645 4735 and comprises a length of coursed stone revetment walling, 1.9 metres high, topped with edge-set stones forming `castellations'. Centrally placed at waist level within this revetment is an arched opening 1.2 metres long and 0.8 metres high giving access to a 0.8 metres deep recess or trough. Behind the revetment is a second opening access to which is gained via a break in the revetment wall at its northwestern end. This and the other features depicted in 1889, were presumably made in the 19th Century to provide scenic walks for the visitors to Minehead, but may equally represent earlier attempts by the Lutterell family to improve this area.  See also survey report on RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill.  This feature is still visible on the 2014 MasterMap. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 35(1).
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 May 1997.
- <3> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. RCHME.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1085008, Extant 10 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9645 4735 (point) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1085008 (Original Monarch entry: 1085008)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12440
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE50
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1085008
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35641
Record last edited
May 10 2022 9:15AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.