MSO7550 - Post-medieval or World War Two military building platform near Camp Reservoir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A slight building platform of probable post-medieval date on North Hill, at SS 95748 46887, was recorded as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill. The platform is terraced into the hillside, 5 by 2.3 metres by 0.9 metres deep. It may have been for a building associated with the 19th Century Volunteer Camp on North Hill.  The platform is more likely to represent a military building forming part of MMO1489. A platform is visible on aerial photographs here taken in 1946-8 by the Royal Air Force, although this appears to be of a larger size. [2,3]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Dove, 29 August 2013.
|Grid reference||SS 95747 46887 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1100869 (Original Monarch entry: 1100869)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12442
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE53
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1100869
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35643
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.