MSO7523 - Prehistoric flint at Hopcott Common (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Flint axes, arrowheads, implements etc., from a 'floor' on Hopcott Hill, Minehead.  The Cornish Collection in Taunton Museum contains a number of flint implements from "Higher Hopcott", a field adjoining Hopcott Common. They include two Palaeolithic scrapers, Mesolithic microliths and scrapers, and Neolithic rubbers, leaf shaped arrowheads, fabricators, knives, scrapers and a polished axe. "Higher Hopcott" field, at present under pasture, is said  to be at SS 9635 4500. There is, however, no field of that name on the Tithe Map and the description given by Cornish "adjoining Hopcott Common" could apply to fields on SS 94 SE, also under pasture.  Mesolithic thumb scraper of Portland chert from Higher Hopcott in Cornish Collection, Taunton Museum 62.A.79 and 62.A.99.  Exact location of finds needs ascertaining. Mapping approximate. Finds likely to have been located outside of National Park boundary. 
- <1> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 77 (part 1), 45.
- <2> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Classified Index Taunton Museum.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mrs Rowe, Hopcott Farm.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. J Palmer, 27 July 1965.
- <5> SMO5124 Serial: The Prehistoric Society. 1935 -. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 36 (1970), 111.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information.
|Grid reference||SS 960 449 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- KNIFE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- FABRICATOR (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2201 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- THUMB NAIL SCRAPER (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Palaeolithic - 500000 BC to 10001 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36733 (Original Monarch entry: 36733)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE4
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36733
Record last edited
Jan 7 2020 5:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.