MSO7494 - Post-medieval water meadow around Monkham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a fragmented water meadow system associated with the post-medieval farmstead of Monkham were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. The remains survive as a number of linear ditches running parallel to the slope below the site of the farm. To the northwest are the remains of further water meadows also associated with Monkhams Farm which have been recorded separately as MSO7514. [1-4]
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CPE.UK.1980 3291-3293 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980/3291-2 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 975 377 (517m by 479m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128250 (Original Monarch entry: 1128250)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO811
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE84
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128250
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34491
Record last edited
Jul 2 2018 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.