MSO7488 - Perley Barn, Luxborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The possible site of a building just east of Perley Barn was noted on aerial photographs. [1,2] Not mentioned in documents as an independant farm. Has been part of Butchers Farm forming part of the quarter of the manor of Luxborough Picot retained by the lord when the rest was given to Cleeve Abbey.  Two buildings are shown on the Tithe Map in this location; both are also on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, labelled as 'Perley Barn'. The Tithe Apportionment book describes the building to the west as No 64, Perley Farm, barn and barton, owned by Thomas Pearse and occupied by James Lyscombe. The building to the east is No 65, Monkham Farm Linhay and Barton, owned by Anna Maria Beauge and occupied by William Webber [4-6]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9838.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3291.
- <3> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 14.
- <4> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9821 3873 (83m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128214 (Original Monarch entry: 1128214)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11409
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE71
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128214
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33765
Record last edited
Aug 15 2017 3:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.