MSO7486 - Farm site at Chapmans Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
A small farmhouse is shown on tithe map in 1843.  Lyndham estate rental of 1712 mentions"two tenements formerly Bakers and Chapmans". Now occupied by Bakers Cottages.  Banks and walls can be seen on aerial photographs dating from 1947, forming a small enclosure around the buildings.  The buildings are labelled as "Baker's Farm Cottages" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The present buildings on the site appear to be those still extant. 
- <1> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 12.
- <3> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9638.
- <4> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3294.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9672 3899 (155m by 202m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128196 (Original Monarch entry: 1128196)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11406
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE69
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128196
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33762
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.