MSO7482 - Kennisham Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Kennisham Hill Barn" printed on OSAD 6" map.  Tithe map shows a farm where there is now only a barn.  Was an independent farm until 1711 when it was bought by John Lethbridge. Thereafter it was farmed as a part of a larger unit. Farmhouse still occupied in 1871 but no signs remain. Stood just downslope from the existing barn and cattle shed.  Survives as well preserved earthworks, one house platform with some stone walling still visible. Forms a building c12m by 6m, divided into two by a central wall. Several other platforms exist in the immediate neighbourhood although it is not possible to date them. The farm was reached by a trackway which now survives as a holloway running N through the plantation. The earthworks are grass covered although there is some scrub. Kennisham Hill Barn is composed of two units, in a L plan with one arm much older than the other. The oldest part to the S and orientated N-S, is almost ruined with no roof, although the gables still survive. A later barn orientated E-W is butted on and this survives intact with a slate roof. It is possible that this barn replaced the original farm. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <3> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 19.
- <4> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SSO994 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 19.12.85. Dennison E, SCPD 19-DEC-1985.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9723 3632 (95m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128132 (Original Monarch entry: 1128132)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11399
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE65
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128132
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33755
Record last edited
Apr 27 2020 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.