MSO7480 - Nurcott Quarries and lime kilns (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A quarry with extensive and considerable excavations which has now become very overgrown. Two limekilns survive but are also much overgrown. It is said that work stopped before 1914.  A double kiln of unusual design. Two combustion chambers are still open and in fairly good condition. Two corner buttresses survive, as do the remains of a parapet around the kiln head. The general condition of the kiln is poor, the whole site being overgrown.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts the earthworks of the quarry and labels it "Nurcott Quarries". Two "Old Limekilns" are shown and labelled at SS 9651 3905.  The quarries are depicted and labelled as disused on 2018 MasterMap data. The earthworks include the site of the limekilns.  Documented. There is a pair of limekilns at SS 9651 3905. This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 19.
- <2> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation. Site 020.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #39704 ]
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM341067 Report: Unknown. 2000. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Quarrying Industry, Somerset 3. English Heritage.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1128119, Extant 25 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9644 3903 (194m by 277m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128119 (Original Monarch entry: 1128119)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11397
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE63
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1128119
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33753
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 9:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.