MSO7479 - Post-medieval lime kiln north of Chargot House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of a limekiln is marked on the 1843 tithe map. [1,2] The kiln appears on the 1st but not the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. [3,4] Slight masonry remains are visible.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 19.
- <2> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7080 Report: Holley, S.. 1997. An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor for the Purposes of Conservation. Site 023.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1128117, Extant 25 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9812 3720 (16m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128117 (Original Monarch entry: 1128117)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11396
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE62
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1128117
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33752
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 9:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.