MSO7473 - Chesters Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of a corn mill known from documentary sources. Little to see on the ground except position of the wheel. Leat now infilled but left the stream at SS97933750 400 yards upstream where there are the remains of a sluice. At SS97793752 there is a sluice in conjunction with a dam. Mill also owned land and for at least 200 years has gone with Butchers Farm. Not mentioned in 1871 census return or 1872 Kelly's Directory but shown on 1772 map.  Was a corn mill with overshot wheel c12ft diameter. 
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 22.
- <2> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. SCRo DD.BW.ely 14.3 Survey of the Manors of Lanham and Pool.
- <3> SSO1984 Unassigned: Warren, D. 05.12.77. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society. Warren D, SIAS 05-DEC-1977.
|Grid reference||SS 9823 3757 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128070 (Original Monarch entry: 1128070)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11382
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE56
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128070
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33738
Record last edited
Feb 7 2013 4:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.