MSO7472 - Allercotts deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The deserted farm of Allercotts dates to the post medieval period, possibly the 17th century. The settlement was occupied until 1947 when the houses were pulled down. The house platforms are still visible as earthworks. Earthworks covering ruined walls of deserted farm site.  Also called Raleigh cottages from Raleigh (or Roadway) Wood. Of 17th Century date when they went with Langham and later Nurcombe Farms. Occupied until 1947 then pulled down. Referred to in 1841.  Shown on OS 25"map in open field.  A single building shows at c.SS9796437474 on the 1843 Tithe Map for Luxborough. It also appears on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [6,7,3]
- <1> SSO751 Unassigned: Aston, M. 02.12.76. Somerset County Council. Aston M, SCPD, 02-DEC-1976.
- <2> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 12.
- <3> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 47(9).
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9737.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4333.
- <6> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9796 3747 (94m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128066 (Original Monarch entry: 1128066)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11381
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE55
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128066
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33737
Record last edited
Apr 27 2020 2:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.