MSO7470 - Ditch farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The deserted farmstead of Ditch was noted in the Court Rolls of 1506-1556.  Absorbed by Westcott Farm in 1789 and in 1825 the eastern 31 acres was transferred to Newcombe Farm. House pulled down after 1948. Dilapidated cow-shed remains built of cob and stone with original roof timbers and two late medieval doorways. Linhay nearby.  Ordnance Survey 1962 6"map marks area as "Ditch cottage". 
- <1> SSO182 Collection: DD.X.WIS C.2768.
- <2> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <3> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3295.
- <6> SSO260 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97. 8784.
- <7> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9637.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9689 3781 (115m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128059 (Original Monarch entry: 1128059)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11376
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE53
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128059
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33732
Record last edited
May 21 2018 10:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.