MSO7470 - Ditch farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The deserted farmstead of Ditch was noted in the Court Rolls of 1506-1556.  Absorbed by Westcott Farm in 1789 and in 1825 the eastern 31 acres was transferred to Newcombe Farm. House pulled down after 1948. Dilapidated cow-shed remains built of cob and stone with original roof timbers and two late medieval doorways. Linhay nearby.  Ordnance Survey 1962 6 inch map marks area as "Ditch cottage".  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO182 Collection: DD.X.WIS C.2768.
- <2> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93NE.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3295.
- <6> SSO260 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97. 8784.
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9637.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1128059, Extant 25 April 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9689 3781 (115m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128059 (Original Monarch entry: 1128059)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11376
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE53
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1128059
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33732
Record last edited
Apr 25 2022 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.