MSO7469 - Watermill at Westcott Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
No wheel in position but site is obvious and buildings remain. On the front wall of the space in which the wheel hung is the date 1882. Leat runs from SS 9676 3789 with a sluice. Course can be traced with difficulty to SS 9699 3792 where the stone built side of the leat is visible.  Leat shown on Ordnance Survey 25 inch map with the second sluice.  Described in 1920 sale catalogue as "barn with linhay under with an excellent water mill fitted with modern ironwheel and arranged for corn grinding".  The mill leat is not depicted on the Tithe Map for Luxborough. There is a building sited at c. SS 9699 3792 but it is not clear whether this is still extant or was removed to make way for the L shaped mill complex currently standing on the site by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. The leat is also shown on this map and the date of 1882 mentioned in  therefore seems like a plausible construction date for the mill. [4,5]
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 23.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 47(9).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, Somerset Industrual Archaeology Society, 1 December 1977.
- <4> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9687 3791 (257m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1128056 (Original Monarch entry: 1128056)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11375
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE52
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128056
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33731
Record last edited
May 21 2018 10:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.