MSO7467 - Beerland Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Beerland farm is mentioned in a Court Book of 1505-56. Before 1655 the farm was sold off from the manor of Luxborough Eve and from 1808 the land was managed by other farmers.  The original Monarch record (1127630) states that "the tithe map of 1843 shows a house only and this is thought to have been demolished by 1861;" however, the tithe map does not actually show a building in the location mentioned. [3,4] A building named 'Beerland Barn' does show on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- <1> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 14.
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <3> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. C Dove 07/02/2013.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9681 3566 (24m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127630 (Original Monarch entry: 1127630)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11411
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE32
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127630
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33767
Record last edited
Nov 21 2014 10:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.