MSO7458 - South Colly Hill Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
As part of a parish survey Mr Williams has drawn attention to a deserted farm site at South Colly Hill, SS 963 366. (South Collyhill Farm shown as extant buildings on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, at SS 9640 3657). [1, 11] SS 9640 3656. Deserted farmstead of South Colly Hill (and/or North Colly Hill, MSO7457) indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidey by the entry of Robert de Goleheye(?). A house and farm buildings are shown on the 1843 Tithe Map. [2,3] Only the farmhouse remains, as a ruin, with its west wall having an inglenook fireplace and a bread oven - ?17th Century. All other buildings, walls and field boundaries have been removed. The site was approached by a holloway from the north (M Aston, fieldwork 2 May 1976).  Former farm of South Colly Hill, mentioned in 1506-56.  SS 9640 3656. From 1789 at least, it was joined with North Colly Hill and the boundary between them cannot be identified. Ruins of the house, which was still occupied in 1871, stand but there are no farm buildings.  Earthworks seen on aerial photographs. [9,10]
- <1> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 117.
- <2> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 247.
- <3> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <5> SSO182 Collection: DD.X.WIS C.2768.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Chargot Documents.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. 1871 Census Returns.
- <8> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9636.
- <10> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4336.
- <11> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9636 3656 (130m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36644 (Original Monarch entry: 36644)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11374
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36644
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33730
Record last edited
Aug 25 2017 11:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.