MSO7456 - Throat Farm, Luxborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
As part of a parish survey Mr Williams has drawn attention to a deserted farm site at Throat, SS 963379. (Throat Cottages shown as extant buildings on OS 6" 1891 at SS 96333786).  The deserted farmstead of Throat is shown on the Tithe Map as a farmhouse and buildings.  There is now only a barn and a pair of derelict 19th Century cottages, although there are earthwork traces of other buildings (M Aston, fieldwork 2 May 1976).  Former farm of Throat, mentioned in Luxborough Eve Court Book of 1506-56.  It was absorbed by Westcott in 1803 and was occupied until after World War II. A room by room inventory of Throat is dated April 1716. (This farmstead is shown and named Drot on OS 1" first edition 1809).  The cottages were subject to historic building analysis in June 2016. Throat is a shrunken farm site, representing a small farmstead, possibly comprising several buildings in the later medieval and early modern period. From the late 18th Century it declined, in the sense that the land (along with that of several other similar small farms nearby) was absorbed by the larger farm of Westcott to the east, and the buildings were put to other purposes, in the case of this house as subsidiary farm accommodation. This may coincide with the rebuilding of the house as two cottages to a ‘mirror image’ plan, or this event may have occurred at a slightly earlier date (which raises the question of whether some earlier amalgamation had occurred). It is certain to post-date 1716 however as the detailed inventory of that year, unequivocally identified as applying to Throat, is clearly describing a building of different form to that of the standing building. On balance it would seem best to stick with the simplest explanation: that the rebuilding as two dwellings coincided with the reduction in status from independent farm to labourers’ cottages somewhere in the years around 1800. The surviving building therefore has significance as an example of a later 18th or early 19th Century pair of estate cottages, giving evidence (inasmuch as it survives) of what was considered necessary in dwellings of this size and status at the time; and which was subsequently modified through later 19th and 20th Century refurbishments. The surviving fabric of the house demonstrates essentially two phases of construction: first construction as a pair of two storey cottages plus the northern single-storey outshut in the later 18th Century (on the site of an earlier house, probably of later medieval or 16th Century date); and a major late 20th Century refurbishment (c.1987–1993) which saw the conversion of the two cottages into a single dwelling with associated landscaping works to form the rear ‘drang’. A possible additional phase of refurbishment in the late 19th Century (involving a new slate roof and refenestration), has left little trace in the fabric, but is recorded in the photograph of 1976, as well as implied by what we know of the general history of the Chargot estate at the time. The late 20th Century phase involved a major refurbishment of the building. The result is that little of historic interest survives in the interior with the exception of the chimney stack with back-to back fireplaces and the remains of truncated bread ovens in their northern reveals. their northern reveals. Although the structure of oven chambers behind these was removed in the late 1980s, their entrances with corbelled arches, brick inner arches and sills, and traces of the brick-lined interiors survive as a reminder of their original function and of the original ‘mirror image’ planning of the two cottages. Although there may have been some localised repair or rebuilding these are unlikely to have been radically rebuilt as a part of the late 1980s refurbishment. 
- <1> SSO746 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 121. 117.
- <2> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <4> SSO181 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1506-1556. Luxborough Eve Court Book.
- <5> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Chargot Documents.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Old Roads of Somer 1952 (T J Hunt).
- <7> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <8> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9637.
- <9> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3295.
- <10> SEM8402 Report: Blaylock, S.. 2016. Historic buildings assessment and recording at Throat Farmhouse, Luxborough, Somerset.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 963 378 (130m by 173m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=36642 (Original Monarch entry: 36642)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11371
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE21
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36642
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33727
Record last edited
Feb 25 2020 1:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.