MSO7439 - Beer Barn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Site of barn.  Two rectangular buildings are shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps at SS 9154 4511 and SS 9154 4510. The northernmost is divided in two. The site is labelled "Beer Barn". [2,3] No further information.  Two barns shown in this position on Luccombe Tithe map with a further associated barn or building shown at SS 91581 45273, suggesting that this was formerly a farmstead.  The site of Beer Barn is marked by a short length of remaining wall on the Blackford to Luccombe Road. There was a barn and a linhay there, with a courtyard between the two. It is low lying and a previous tenant of Luccombe Farm remembers that the yard often flooded in very wet weather. The buildings were removed in the 1970s. In the 1809-12 Holnicote Estate Survey, Barton of East Luccombe, Beer is given as 'Barn Stable Court and Garden'. The garden was in the field immediately to the west. Presumably in the 18th Century or earlier there was a farmhouse. At the moment an incinerator for farmer's dead stock is on the site. [6,7]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 14 November 1977.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 34(7).
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 1 February 1984.
- <5> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6873 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 2.
- <7> SEM6872 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 1.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9156 4519 (62m by 190m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119228 (Pastscape entry: 1119228)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11351
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW45
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1119228
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33707
Record last edited
Mar 5 2019 12:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.