MSO7437 - Post-medieval mounds on Tarr Ball Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two large mounds lie on Tarr Ball Hill, close to the road to Stoke Pero. The mound to the north, at SS 86480 42821 measures 5 metres by 4 metres by 0.7 metres high. The mound to the south, at SS 86478 42808 is 6 metres by 4 metres by 0.8 metres high. Both mounds are composed mostly of earth and are rather irregular in shape. They are not prehistoric burial cairns, and are most likely to be associated with post medieval peat extraction, for which there is evidence nearby. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 25September 1997.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 86479 42814 (12m by 23m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1093252 (Pastscape entry: 1093252)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE112
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1093252
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13461
Record last edited
Oct 20 2014 10:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.