MSO7421 - Bronze Age burial cairn south of Rex Stile Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A robbed cairn lies on the north-east slope of Dunkery Hill, close to the road, at SS 90440 42280. It comprises of a circular, heather covered bank, 9.4 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. The north side and the centre have been disturbed. The cairn is best preserved on its west side. It was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [1,2] Scheduled on 23 April 2003.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SSO1875 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor Survey Record.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 April 1997.
- <3> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <4> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 90439 42280 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1082281 (Pastscape entry: 1082281)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10222
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW83
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1082281
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16207
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.