MSO7401 - St Andrew's Chapel, West of Luccombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A chapel near Chapel Cross had been used as a stone quarry for many generations before it was excavated by the Rev F Hancock prior to 1897. The internal measurements of the building appeared to be 28 feet long and 15 feet wide, and it apparently had three doors.  Healey states that it was described as "St Andrews Chapel" in 1776. He refutes Hancocks suggestion that it may have been the chapel licensed by Geoffrey de Luccombe in 1316 and dedicated to St Saviour (see  below), as he considers St Saviours was in the parish church and that de Luccombe's chapel was dedicated to St Peter and was at Horner (MSO11308). The chapel is shown by plans dating to 1809-12 for the Holnicote Estate, close to the junction with the manors of East and West Luccombe. The earth above the ruins "was removed not many years ago under the direction of Prebendary Hancock, then rector of Selworthy." Chadwyck-Healey suggests the plan was probably similar to Lynch Chapel, with a chamfered base and corner buttresses, and with two or three doors. It measured internally 28 feet long by 15 feet wide, orientated east 27 degrees south.  The remains of this chapel are at SS 9057 4487. They consist of the footings of a rectangular building measuring 10.0 metres by 6.1 metres externally, with walls 0.6 metres wide and up to 0.4 metres high. A doorway towards the west end of the south wall is the only one that can be definitely identified [?12]. Surveyed at 1:2500. A notice board erected by the National Trust states that it is St. Andrews Chapel.  Very poor condition, being grass covered and the masonry fabric deteriorating. Several stones had been pulled out, including the piece of the chamfered plinth. Needs consolidation and interpretation.  The dimensions c.8 metres by 4.5 metres, no disturbance apparent.  Scheduled Monument Consent granted for minor repair works and interpretation panel.  Scheduling affirmed with new national number on 11 August 2003 (was Somerset 483).  Remains of St. Andrew's Chapel, Grade III. Said to be the remains of a chantry chapel of 14th Century date. No surviving features. (Not included in current list.)  (SS 9057 4487) Chapel [NR] (Remains of) [NAT].  (SS 906 449) Medieval chapel remains at Chapel Cross, Scheduled.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  Hancock discusses the excavation of "the scanty remains of a chapel" at a crossroads on the road from Luccombe, which appears to be this chapel. At a depth of two feet he found some old knives and a silver instrument. The chapel was used up until recently as a stone quarry but some pieces of window jambs were found in the ruins and the wall footings still remained. The altar may have been under a rise in the ground at about two feet from the east end. The chapel had three doorways and was dedicated to St Saviour, founded in 1315. It wasn't clear why the chapel was built in that position but appears to have been held in considerable repute. 
- <1> SSO1236 Monograph: Hancock, F. 1897. The Parish of Selworthy. P. 32-5.
- <2> SEM7801 Monograph: Chadwyck-Healy, C. E. H.. 1901. The history of the part of West Somerset : comprising the parishes of Luccombe, Selworthy, Stoke Pero, Porlock, Culbone and Oare.. H. Sotheran & Co.. 24,104.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 23 July 1965.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34584.
- <5> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <6> SSO1038 Unpublished document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 7/11/2001. Department for Culture, Media and Sport to National Trust.
- <7> SSO1868 Survey: RCHME. 1994. Exmoor survey.
- <8> SSO1136 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 20/8/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <9> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somerset (March 1962) 42.
- <10> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <11> SMO4073 Unpublished document: Various. Scheduled Monument Notification . DOE (IAM) Rec Form (29 November 1976).
- <12> SMO1520 Photograph: REMAINS OF CHAPEL AT LUCCOMBE FROM SOUTH WEST. OS65/F139/5. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <13> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <14> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <15> SEM8805 Article in serial: Hancock, F.. 1893. The ancient chapels in the valley of Holnicote. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 39. 2, pp55-60. 57-9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9057 4486 (42m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36978 (Pastscape entry: 36978)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11970
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36978
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34584
Record last edited
Sep 13 2021 11:22AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.