MSO7393 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Detailed description in SMR. (1) There is no trace of any feature at SS 84774248 an area of gently sloping cleared rough grassland and heather. What Thackray (1) has most probably seen and is referring to is at SS 84824241 some 85 metres to the south east where there is a turf and bracken covered mound of stones about 9.5 metres in diameter and no more than 0.6 metres maximum height. It appears to be intact and there is no evidence of a kerb. It is in a quite prominent false crest position overlooking the settlement and field system (SS 84 SE 41) about 300 metres to the south east. It appears to lie too far outside the system and is too large to be a stone clearance heap, especially as there are very few clearance heaps in the system in any case, but it is quite probable that it could be a sepulchral cairn associated with it. Surveyed at 1:2500 (see Plan for SS 84 SE 41). (2) A large cairn lies on Great Hill, overlooking Chetsford Water and close to the Exford-Porlock road, at SS 84759 42441. It comprises a circular, heather covered mound 8m in diameter and a maximum of 1m high on its N side. A central depression 5m long and 1.5m wide is the result of robbing, possibly for stone for the nearby enclosure hedge bank. The cairn was surveyed using GPS as part of the RCHME's East Exmoor project (3).
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset C.C. SMR, dated 30-JUN-86.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. F1 ISS 21-AUG-87.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Riley H 25 Sep 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8475 4243 (12m by 12m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36321 (Pastscape entry: 36321)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW74
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36321
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33694
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.