MSO7367 - Possible peat cutting site northwest of Horner Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Banks forming a roughly rectilinear enclosure northwest of Horner Gate were noted on aerial photographs taken in the 1970s. [1-3] There is nothing to be seen on the ground to sustain the aerial photographs mark of an enclosure as mentioned above. There has been peat cutting on the hill and the mark may be associated with this, though no complete rectilinear turf tye is evident.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8844.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 Run 89, 8670 (September 1971).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAM IRFC 13,088 (May 1977).
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 16 March 1987.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8872 4467 (101m by 125m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36132 (Pastscape entry: 36132)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11852
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE61
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36132
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34430
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 11:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.