MSO7359 - Possible medieval hunting butts or natural peat tumps above Nutscale Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Small mounds in the area are likely to be hunting butts.  The indicated area lies on a gentle northwest facing moorland slope above the deep river valleys of Nutscale Water. The only features identified on the ground were three or four scattered turf-covered "swellings" up to 0.3 metres high which are most probably natural peat tumps. Nothing remotely resembling a butt or hide was seen. Nothing is also visible on aerial photographs. [2-5] A northeast to southwest aligned linear earthwork centred on circa SS 8606 4241, visible on aerial photographs and recorded during the Exmoor National Mapping Programme project, may be an element of the posible hunting butt or hide complex alleged for this area. Further field investigation is required to determine the precise nature of the earthworks and they have been recorded separately. [5-7]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. R McDonnell, WAT, 3 December 1976.
- <2> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 March 1987.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS8642/2/296 (1 March 1979).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3241-2 (11 April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS 73/109/853-4 (29 April 1973).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 950-951 (29 April 1973).
- <7> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 858 424 (109m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36105 (Pastscape entry: 36105)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO162
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11332
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE52
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36105
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33688
Record last edited
Mar 4 2020 11:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.