MSO7328 - Disputed Bronze Age barrow on Wilmersham Common (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 86454249) Very small barrow.  There is nothing visible in the area indicated either on the ground or on RAF aerial photographs.  Very doubtful barrow c. 0.2 metres high and 4 metres in diameter, covered in grass. Where area has been cultivated with some ploughmarks and lynchets evident.  2 further mounds just to the north with outer ditches.  Nothing at this grid reference included by Grinsell in his list of Somerset barrows.  Supposed round barrow not found during field investigation. The grid reference given by Grinsell for this feature falls in an area of old (certainly not recent) peat cutting. A search among the residual mounds and balks, which cover a wide area, failed to identify it and it must be assumed Grinsell was badly at fault in either grid reference or identification. "Ploughmarks" and "lynchets" seem to refer to peat cuttings. The marks noted on aerial photographs [4,5] were not checked on the ground and the relevant images were not available during fieldwork but there are no ditched mounds on the ground and the cropmarks are either mis-sited or spurious, or, alternatively, relate to the peat diggings noted above. A misreading of Grinsell's grid reference by Somerset SMR has resulted in the information being duplicated on their Monument record PRN 33684 and transferred to a location some 400 metres to the northwest.  This site has, in the past, been plotted onto Somerset SMR paper maps at SS 8645 4290 and it is not clear if the mounds reported to the north  refer to the mapped location or SS 8645 4249. 
- <1> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Corr 6" (L V Grinsell Undtd).
- <2> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 24 June 1965.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. National Trust archaeologist, July 1976.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8642.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. LHL CPE/UK/1980 3170 (April 1947).
- <6> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <7> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 27 March 1987.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset Historic Environment Record, 23 November 2005.
|Grid reference||SS 8644 4249 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11328
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7386
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE7
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE94
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35959
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36199
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33684
Record last edited
Dec 15 2014 1:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.