MSO7323 - Possible destroyed Bronze Age barrow on Babe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Luccombe 2. At SS 8600 4360 is a cairn 6 paces across by 1 feet high. It was reported by AD Hallam.  Mr Hallam says that this is probably a ploughed out barrow and is noticeable mainly as a soil mark. There are no barrows in this area which is reclaimed moorland and under grass. Several small rectangular field clearance mounds survive and it may be that Hallam saw one of these. [2,3] One of these is at SS 8580 4340. [4,5] This site is now a smooth pasture field with no trace of the features noted by the previous authorities. It must be assumed that all were destroyed in these more recent land improvements. 
- <1> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 35.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. AD Hallam, Taunton Museum.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 23 June 1965.
- <4> SSO2093 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor National Park Field Survey. 8534.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. LHL/CPE/UK/1980 3170 (April 1947).
- <6> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 June 1987.
|Grid reference||SS 8596 4355 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35931 (Pastscape entry: 35931)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11346
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE1
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35931
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33702
Record last edited
Oct 13 2014 9:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.