MSO7319 - Packhorse Bridge, West Luccombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8987 4610] F.B. [T.I.] (NAT)  West Luccombe packhorse bridge of one pointed arch with a roadway width of 3 ft. Well preserved.  Scheduled.  This is a well preserved packhorse bridge. [4,7?] (SS 89874610) Packhorse Bridge (NR).  II* Packhorse bridge. Late medieval. Red sandstone with a cobbled footway. Single span, pointed segmental arch, splayed abutments, parapet swept back at approaches. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 29).  Crossing the Horner Water. A single arch bridge supported on rock face on the northside and on stone built pier on the south. Pathway 1 metre wide and 7 metres in length. The cobbled surface of large stones is not complete. A 19th century bridge carries the roadway across the stream nearby.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a score of 0.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  This structure was clearly present but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The 2nd and 3rd Edition maps were annotated 'FB' for the presence of a footbridge. The 2014 MasterMap annotates the bridge as 'FB' and 'Packhorse Bridge'. The 1841 Luccombe Tithe map indicates the presence of a bridge at this location. [11-15] The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SSO1953 Monograph: Thompson, W.H.. 1934. Somerset Regional Survey. P. 57.
- <3> SEM7745 Index: Ministry of Works. 1961. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. P. 84.
- <4> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 July 1965.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 / 1975.
- <6> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <7> SMO1479 Photograph: WEST LUCCOMBE PACKHORSE BRIDGE FROM NORTH EAST. OS65/F178/3. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <11> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <12> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <13> SEM8093 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1933-1938. County Series, Third Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <14> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <15> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8987 4610 (4m by 3m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35855 (Original Monarch entry: 35855)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 444/1/67
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10580
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11993
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA165207
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35855
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34623
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31053
Record last edited
Jul 11 2016 2:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.