MSO7181 - Post-medieval field gutter system at Stone Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, centred at SS 929 354, is visible on vertical aerial photographs and was plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. The field gutters lie to the south of Stone Lodge and follow the contours of a small stream valley south westwards. The southern end of this system reaches as far as North Huckman and may therefore relate to the deserted farmstead of Huccombe, described in record MSO7154. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. p.37.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1944 4155-6 (23 January 1947) CPE.UK.1980 3347 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7521 Archive: Dyer, C.A.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1089212, Extant 2 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9296 3525 (752m by 519m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089212 (Original Monarch entry: 1089212)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO568
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11898
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW43
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1089212
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34476
Record last edited
May 2 2022 10:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.