MSO7176 - 20th Century waterwheel at North Quarme Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An iron wheel of 12ft diameter, 3ft wide with 48 buckets overshot gear originally fed by flume (now demolished) and short leat from mill pond. Used to power farm machinery installed in 1920s.  One of the buildings (west of Lower North Quarme farmhouse) is named 'Quarme Mill' on modern Ordnance Survey mapping.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1977.
- <2> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1089173, Extant 2 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 920 366 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089173 (Original Monarch entry: 1089173)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11301
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW31
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1089173
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33643
Record last edited
May 2 2022 9:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.